Friday, May 22, 2009

melbourne, yeah we drove alone the Yarra

my first ever visit to Melbourne!

I think it's so strange that I first had to move my life to the other side of the world, before I ever visited a city that's just a one-hour plane ride from the town I grew up in.

it's not that I had anything against melbourne, or even that I had a lack of interest in it, I guess I just never had enough motivation to go there...until I was sent there.

the Sydney-Melbourne rivalry has been going on for decades, and while Sydney is obviously incredibly close to my heart, I've never really entered into that rivalry. Melbourne has always seemed liked a really cool place, and I was excited by the prospect of going there, and by the hype that surrounded the city.

...and Melbourne certainly didn't disappoint! A big thanks to Adie Fernand and Gus Murray for showing me around this city.

also, was amazing to be in melbourne at the same time as my mate Natalie Aarons and I got to meet her mum. We all had lunch and talked shit and did a bit of shopping.
Imagine my embarrassment when we were in a shoe store and I pick up a pair of women's boots and say:
"Oi Nat! Check out these lezzo dyke boots!",
only to realise her mum was sitting two metres away, patiently waiting, as I watch the salesman bring out those exact boots in her size for her to try on. I don't know what's worse, the fact I said that, or the fact that she still bought them.

aaaaaaaaanyways, here are the photos:
(editor's note: despite what the layout of the photos would suggest, Gus and I did NOT actually eat at Gaylord Indian Restaurant, nor did we eat at the New Kum Den Chinese Restaurant. I mean, I'm sure they're both lovely restaurants, and I'm glad those restaurants are named that way, I just don't wanna eat there!)


stay tuned, next week: AUCKLAND!!!


let the good times roll!!

No comments: